An Emergency Cold Weather Shelter will be open at the Salvation Army located at 1001 N. Pennyslvania Ave, Oklahoma City on the nights that the temperature drops below freezing.
OKC Day Shelter for the Homeless is looking for volunteers to help staff and operate an emergency overflow shelter during the overnight hours of nights that the temperature drops below freezing for the 2019/2020 winter season. This is a crucial need for so many of the most vulnerable in our city and it could mean life or death for some? Due to an increasing number of unsheltered homeless on our streets, the City of Oklahoma City and community/faith-based organizations have collaborated to develop solutions. One of the solutions is to open and operate an emergency overflow shelter when temperatures drop below freezing. Volunteers are needed to help staff the shifts.
- Emergency Shelter will be located at Salvation Army 1001 N. Pennsylvania Ave.
- Shifts: 7pm-6am (can be split up between multiple volunteers)
- Security guard will be present to ensure safety of clients, volunteers and staff
- Night shifts are very low key. Volunteers are needed to simply welcome clients to the shelter and get them set up with a cot to sleep on.
- Individualized training will be provided before shifts.
If you would like to volunteer please contact Tom Knudsen.