We know as Christians and people who call ourselves Disciples of Christ, that we are called to love and serve our neighbor. We have neighbors on our southern border who need us. The environment for our brothers and sisters is not only a humanitarian crisis but a faith crisis. We are limited in what we are allowed to do to help, but there are a couple of actions we can take and the Church must act.
We are developing a Refugee and Immigrant Ministry (RIM) in the Oklahoma Region. Anyone who is interested in being a part can contact Rev. Mary Heath at email@example.com. She will be happy to add anyone who cares for this ministry to the group!
Mary has spoken to a couple of ministers from the Rio Grande Valley. One of the first things we can accomplish is sending help to Rev. Filiberto Pereira at Good Samaritan. Rev. Mary Heath has spoken to him three times to determine the immediate need. All three times he has stated there is a great need to help the children on both sides of the border. Rev. Pereira has told Rev. Mary Heath, that the children are basically going naked.
In attending General Assembly this summer, we learned about what it is to “Abide.” Children going without clothing is something we simply cannot abide. We acknowledge the teaching of Jesus that children are the heirs of the Kingdom of God. And so, our first statewide mission project for refugees and immigrants is to collect the needed items.
How can you help? DONATE:
- Gently used and new clothing for children (all sizes)
- Packages of girls and boys underwear (all sizes)
- Shoes, sandals, flip flops for children (all sizes)
- Feminine products of all types
- Monetary donations made to the Region.
- checks may be mailed to Christian Church in Oklahoma at 301 NW 36th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73020. Please note “RIM” on the check so it is applied directly to this mission.
- Online donations may be made through Givelify (choose “Other” and make a note: “RIM”)
How can you help? COLLECT:
You can help collect items at your church and bring them to a drop off location! There are currently two donation sites.
- Yale Avenue Christian Church – Tulsa, 3616 S Yale Ave, Tulsa, OK 74135 (Monday through Thursday from 10am to 4pm)
- First Christian Church – Oklahoma City, 3700 N. Walker, Oklahoma City, OK 73118 (Monday through Thursday from 10am to 4pm)
- Central Christian Church – Enid, 1111 W Broadway Ave, Enid, OK 73703 (Monday through Thursday from 10am to 4pm)
- First Christian Church – Pauls Valley, 300 N Ash St, Pauls Valley, OK 73075 (Wednesdays 10am to 4pm). If you would like to drop any other day/time call Elaine at 405-830-1799 to schedule a time.
The first load of donations will be collected to deliver on September 13, 2019. Please drop your items as soon as possible. A second load will be taken at a later date.
How can you help? DRIVE:
So far we have one volunteer to drive the donations to either Bayville or Los Fresnos, Texas. We will need more volunteers who can help drive a church van or individual truck to transport. If you can help in those ways, please contact Rev. Mary Heath at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be other ways in which you can help Refugee and Immigrant Ministries in Oklahoma! Keep watching the Region’s website and monthly e-newsletter for more opportunities to help our brothers and sisters in need.
Thank you for your generous hearts and willingness to follow Jesus Christ, in clothing our young sisters and brothers, and hence clothing our Savior himself. We will continue to join together in this movement of wholeness in a fragmented world.